An early childhood worker (ECW) provides curriculum support within South Australian government preschools.
They are accountable to the preschool director and can either work during school term only (42 weeks) or be employed for the full year (52 weeks).
Any available positions will be advertised on EduJobs.
The role of an ECW includes:
- helping to plan and deliver curriculum with participating teachers
- delivering curriculum to children individually or in small groups under the direction of the teacher or director
- performing administrative duties such as finances and records management
- organising resources for activities within the safety guidelines under the direction of the teacher
- discussing program implementation and evaluation with the teacher
- supporting transition from preschool to school by providing information to reception teachers and preparing information packages and letters to parents
- helping organise special events and children's work displays.
- Full time/part time appointment with leave conditions – working 48/52 weeks per year. Entitled to paid sick leave, recreation leave and special leave, long service leave and payment for public holidays not worked.
- Part time 'school term' employment with 16% loading – working term time only. Entitled to paid sick leave, and long service leave.
- Casual appointment with 25% loading – working term time only. Not entitled to any paid leave except special leave at the discretion of the employer and long service leave.
Early Childcare Workers are appointed under Section 121 of the Education and Children's Services Act 2019.
Salary and conditions of employment are contained in the:
- South Australian School and Preschool Education Staff Enterprise Agreement 2020 (PDF 1206KB)
- Early Childhood Worker Award (PDF 899KB)
- pay scale for early childhood workers (PDF 227KB)
- other awards or agreements applicable from time to time
- departmental policies and procedures.
People and Culture Operations
Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au