On this page
Researchers wanting to undertake research at department sites such as school and preschools can find application forms and information about supporting documents as well as information about national research and how to access existing data. Department staff can find information about commissioning or reporting on research and evaluation.
Before you start
Researchers should read the conducting research with department staff, students and data procedure (PDF 588 KB) before applying to conduct research.
Supporting documentation you may need for your application include:
- Working with Children Check OR Teachers Registration Board registration
- Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) application, amendments or letter of approval
- letter of introduction to principal, preschool director or site leader
- information sheets for participants
- instruments, assessments or questionnaires
- consent forms
- proof of public liability insurance (see below).
See the department's research policy (PDF 553 KB) for more information.
Proof of public liability insurance – university contacts
The University of Adelaide
Legal and risk – human research projects and clinical trials
The University of South Australia
Level 2, 101 Currie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Internal Post Code – 101-06
Phone 08 830 21678
Fax: 08 830 21699
Email: insurance [at] unisa.edu.au
CRICOS provider no. 00121B
Risk and assurance services
Phone: 8201 3793
Email: riskandinsurance [at] flinders.edu.au
CRICOS provider no. 00114A
Apply to undertake research
Research in South Australia only
For a new research study, complete the research application form (DOCX 1 MB) .
To modify an already approved research study, you can complete the shorter research modification form (DOCX 1 MB) .
Email completed forms and all supporting documents to Education.ResearchUnit@sa.gov.au.
Research in more than 1 Australian state or territory
Different forms and guidelines may apply to researchers undertaking projects across other states and territories. You should check guidelines specific to the state you want to conduct research in:
- read the national application guidelines (PDF 151KB)
- submit a national research application form (PDF 317KB)
- email both South Australian and national applications for research and evaluation to Education.ResearchUnit@sa.gov.au.
Request access to department data
You can request access to data that is already held by the department but not typically collected for the purposes of research. This includes:
Learn more about requesting data on government schools.
Commissioning or reporting on research and evaluation
Department for Education staff should read the following for general guidance on:
- reviewing or summarising research or evaluation findings – reporting on research and evaluation fact sheet (DOCX 67 KB)
- initiating, sponsoring or commissioning research and evaluation studies or work – initiating and sponsoring research and evaluation fact sheet (DOCX 70 KB) .