On this page
Workforce reports and surveys help us to understand changes in the teacher job market and learn more about the teaching workforce at a state and national level.
The information can assist us to plan for a quality and sustainable teaching workforce.
The labour market and demographic profile of qualified teachers and the teacher workforce in SA report 2006 – 2011 (PDF 1.2MB) provides a demographic profile of all qualified teachers and the teacher workforce in South Australia.
Teacher education reports provide a profile of university students studying teacher education courses offered by South Australian universities:
- SA university teacher education students summary December 2020 (includes trends up to 2019) (PDF 691KB)
- SA university teacher education students summary December 2019 (includes trends up to 2018) (PDF 798KB)
- SA university teacher education students summary November 2018 (includes trends up to 2017) (PDF 454KB)
- SA university teacher education students summary December 2017 (includes trends up to 2016) (PDF 532KB).
Schools Australia reports provide annual data on:
- numbers of schools, students and staff for all Australian states and territories
- measures of student engagement
- ratios of full-time equivalent (FTE) students to FTE teaching staff.
The reports are released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics using data from the National Schools Statistics Collection (NSSC).
The Australian Government has funded the development of numerous national reports on the school teacher workforce, including:
- teaching and learning international survey – this focused on the learning environment and working conditions of teachers in schools
- staff in Australia’s schools survey – data was collected from over 17,000 teachers on topics including initial teacher education, employment status, job satisfaction, career paths and intentions
- national teaching workforce dataset – was compiled using data supplied by teacher employers and registration bodies.
The Australian Curriculum and Reporting Authority's national reports on schooling in Australia covers the annual progress towards the educational goals for young Australians identified in the Melbourne Declaration.
The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership initial teacher education data reports bring together data on initial teacher education applicants, students and graduates.
The National Skills Commission provides expert advice and national leadership on Australia’s labour market and current, emerging and future workforce skills needs. By searching the website a range of information can be sourced specific to the teaching workforce at the national level.
The size, structure and composition of the public sector workforce changes annually. To better understand the workforce, the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment conducts a census every June. Workforce information collected includes employment details (full-time, part-time or casual, classification) and workforce demographics (age, gender and diversity).
The department is represented in the workforce information across all relevant acts.
Email: Education.WorkforceDataandPlanning [at] sa.gov.au