On this page
This page has information for students about career opportunities in STEM.
The middle years of school is an ideal time to think about career pathways before choosing senior secondary subjects.
When thinking about the different career paths, consider:
- ‘what problems do I want to solve?’
- ‘how do I want to help people and society?’
- ‘how can I be part of this, what skills do I need and what is the pathway?’
Watch this short video to discover the world of STEM with future you.
These links can help you to discover your interests and learn about many STEM career opportunities:
- RiAus – working in STEM series – find out about STEM careers that you may not have considered or been aware of until now
- Future you – for children 8 – 12 years to learn about STEM careers and discover the future you with STEM. Take the quiz to discover your STEM superpower!
- myfuture website – for students, teachers and parents to explore career pathways, with tools for discovering interests, values, skills and how they relate to career and study options
- Careers with STEM website – resources to explore STEM career pathways, with an online quiz to find out about careers that align with personal strengths and interests.
In South Australia, there is an increasing demand for workers with trade, technical, and science and technology skills. Jobs include building and maintaining:
- armoured vehicles
- infrastructure and facilities.
There are also jobs in:
- intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance
- cyber and electronics.
There is education and training available through university and VET school pathway programs. The list below may be helpful.
South Australia is home to leading-edge research and development in satellite and space technologies. This work is helping us to communicate, locate and to see the Earth in new ways. Space technology is also helping farmers and helping us to improve environmental management (PDF 13.4MB).
STEM skills are vital for the space industry to grow and to meet future workforce needs.
Find out about the Space Industry school-holiday work experience program for secondary students.
Learn more about the Australian Space Discovery Centre.
- Where are the jobs – South Australia needs skills
- Pathways for a career in space – space needs all types of skillsets
- STEM Careers Guide – a guide to careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- Australian Science Channel – videos, articles and news about careers in STEM
- Digital Technologies Hub – careers in digital technologies
- Careers in Mathematics – career opportunities across all industry sectors.
Find out about studying STEM at university:
- Flinders University
- University of Adelaide
- University of Adelaide – Karnkanthi Indigenous Education Program
- University of South Australia
- University of South Australia – Indigenous Internship Program
These are also useful links to explore:
STEM Learning Team
Phone: 8463 5926
Email: Education.STEM [at] sa.gov.au