On this page
Major school upgrades totalling $692 million are being funded for 91 schools across the metropolitan, country and Greater Adelaide region of South Australia through the Department’s capital works program. Upgrades at each school will be unique to that school and be a mixture of:
- additional learning areas and facilities in high schools for the transition of year 7
- removing old relocatable or modular classrooms
- new buildings for schools with growing student numbers
- refurbishing classrooms and buildings into modern learning areas
- landscaping and upgrading street frontage to create vibrant entries.
The 91 schools receiving upgrades consist of 62 metropolitan schools, 21 country schools and 8 schools from the Greater Adelaide region. The 91 schools are made up of:
- 30 primary schools
- 44 high schools
- 16 birth to year 12/reception to year 12/area schools
- 1 Aboriginal school.
Around 67,000 students across the state will benefit with around 1 in 5 schools having their facilities upgraded.
Each school had a draft plan and artists illustrations produced in February 2018. These draft plans and illustrations are being reviewed in light of the policy to transition year 7’s into high school. Some plans may vary to accommodate anticipated movements in school population.
Secondary school upgrades will commence first to ensure infrastructure is completed in time for year 7s students to begin high school by 2022.
Major School Upgrades Team
Phone: 8226 6560
Email: education.BuildingBetterSchools [at] sa.gov.au