This information is for non-department teachers and others seeking resources or employment by the department as:
- English as an additional language or dialect (EALD) teachers
- community liaison officers (CLO)
- bilingual school support officer (BSSO).
The English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) program helps sites to provide an effective pathway for students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds who are learning English as an additional language/dialect.
The EALD program contributes to the delivery of culturally inclusive approach by the department to support its multicultural cohort. It also manages the Intensive English Language program (IELP) and the New Arrivals program (NAP).
The language and literacy levels describe the development of language and literacy needed across the year levels to access and demonstrate curriculum knowledge, skills and understandings for all learning areas. The levels focus on the productive aspects of language and literacy (spoken, written and multi-modal texts).
The language and literacy levels listed below are primarily an assessment, monitoring and reporting tool to be used to inform programming and planning for all teachers.
- Introduction (PDF 411KB)
- Levels 1 to 6 (PDF 354KB)
- Levels 4 to 9 (PDF 383KB)
- Levels 7 to 10 (PDF 331KB)
- Levels 11 to 14 (PDF 336KB)
- Glossary (PDF 345KB)
- Reception to 7 moderated evidence (PDF 3.3MB)
- Year 8 to 12 moderated evidence (PDF 3.9MB)
- Recording and tracking (PDF 352KB)
- Teaching strategies (PDF 1.3MB)
CLOs come from a range of language and cultural backgrounds. They:
- work with schools to develop understandings about student cultural backgrounds
- provide information about the Australian education systems and curriculum policies to parents and caregivers
- work closely with school communities and external agencies to ensure the provision of and access to the most appropriate educational programs for students.
See more detail about the roles of community liaison officers (PDF 507KB) and contact information.
These documents provide information about the requirements to work as an EALD or IELP/NAP teacher in the department, and expression of interest forms to work as a BSSO or CLO:
- Minimum requirements to work as an EALD or IELP/NAP teacher (PDF 126KB)
- BSSO expression of interest (Word 139KB)
- Becoming a BSSO (Word 129KB)
- Role of a BSSO (Word 137KB)
- BSSO agreement to work less than the minimum shift hours (Word 52KB)
- CLO expression of interest (Word 147KB)
English as an Additional Language or Dialect program team
Phone: 8226 2937
Email: education.eald [at] sa.gov.au