On this page
The information below helps if you want to:
- change the membership of your council
- check that people are fairly represented.
If you want to know who is allowed to be on a council, take a look at eligibility for governing councils.
Just as every site’s setting is different, every site’s council membership can be different too. You can look at some site-specific scenarios in memberships of specific types of schools in the different constitutions:
- Governing council of a school with a school-based preschool model constitution (PDF 277KB)
- Governing council of a school without a school-based preschool model constitution (PDF 281KB)
All governing councils must:
- have a minimum of 5 members (there is no maximum)
- be made up mostly of parent members, unless the site has mostly adult students
- have a site leader as an ex officio member.
|Parents||Required, unless site has mostly adult students||5, unless site has mostly adult students||None|
|Site leader (principal/director)||Required||1||1 per site|
|Staff||Optional||None||3, but depends on number of students|
|Students||Optional||None||2, unless site has mostly adult students|
Staff members on council are elected by the staff of the school, according to the following ratios.
Total number of students
(across all campuses or for each school)
Staff members that can be elected to council
60 or fewer
61 to 300
301 to 600
601 or more