There are 3 specific roles on council for schools and preschools. These roles are called office bearers. Site leaders (principals or directors) are always represented on the council as well.
Chairperson (including deputy chairperson)
- chairs the meeting to make sure it runs smoothly
- reports to the community at the annual general meeting (AGM)
- prepares the agenda, working with the site leader and secretary
- acts as the spokesperson for the council (only on council related matters).
Suggested template for governing council chairperson’s role description (Word 56KB).
Suggested template for governing council deputy chairperson's role description (Word 66KB).
- takes minutes of meetings
- prepares and distributes the minutes and agenda
- keeps records (with help from the site leader)
- makes sure people are told about the meeting ahead of time
- makes sure the common seal is kept in a safe place.
Suggested template for governing council secretary’s role description (Word 57KB).
- chairs the finance advisory committee
- makes sure the budget and finance reports are prepared and presented at council meetings
- presents the council’s audited statement at the AGM or at the next council meeting.
Suggested template for governing council treasurer's role description (Word 58KB).
If you're interested in volunteering for 1 of these roles on your site’s council, check the eligibility requirements for the chairperson and treasurer.
A site leader can be a principal or director. For sites with a school and a preschool, both leaders may be on the council. Site leaders are:
- responsible for curriculum and discipline
- ex officio members – because they are a site leader
- required to be on the finance advisory committee, or have a nominee.
Site leaders (principals and directors)
- present a report to each council meeting, including details about site plans and any other targets set by the council
- work with the chairperson and secretary on the agenda
- advise the council of directions and information from the department
- act as the spokesperson for the site for non-council business.
Suggested template for governing council principal's role description (Word 58KB).
Site Governance, Partnerships, Schools and Preschools
Phone: 8226 9617
Email: Education.sitegovernance [at] sa.gov.au