The Festival of Music provides opportunities for SA government school students to be part of their Festival of Music Orchestras. There are places available in 2 orchestras. Each has approximately 35 to 40 students, giving a tailored playing opportunity for players of:
- electric guitar
- electric bass guitar
Each orchestra is made up of a string, wind and rhythm section.
Repertoire for the orchestras includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles as accompaniment for the Festival of Music choirs and orchestra-only feature pieces. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The Festival of Music for 2022 will be held in September at the Adelaide Festival Theatre. Each orchestra will perform in multiple concerts during the concert series.
Rehearsals will start in mid-term 1 and are held at:
- Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig – Wednesdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm
- Seaview High School, 78/124 Seacombe Road, Seacombe Heights – Thursdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm.
Entry is by audition.
All string, brass, woodwind, keyboard, electric guitar, electric bass guitar and percussion students in SA government schools in years 5 to 10 in 2021 are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Spaces for the following instruments are available in the orchestras as listed.
Booking an audition
Audition bookings will open on Friday, 15 October, 2021.
Auditions will be held at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig on:
- Thursday 11 November 2021: 8.00am to 12.00pm and 4.00pm to 7.00pm
- Sunday 14 November 2021: 2.00pm to 6.00pm
Students who would like some extra support with learning the excerpts can attend one of the following:
- Wednesday, 27 October, 2021, 4.30pm to 5.30pm at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig
- Thursday, 4 November, 2021, 4.30pm to 5.30pm at Seaview High School, 78/124 Seacombe Road, Seacombe Heights
This is not compulsory and no booking is required to attend. Come along with your instrument and questions.
Want to be in more than one ensemble?
Opportunities to be part of Instrumental Music central student ensembles are available for 2022.
To audition once for more than one ensemble:
- check the commitments outlined on this website
- select your first choice
- make a booking
- indicate extra choices on the student ensemble application form
- bookings open on Friday 15 October.
Want to apply on more than one instrument?
You must book an audition for each instrument you want to apply for.
All auditions times must be booked.
Country students may be able to do an online audition. Contact the IM Leader, Learning Pathways on 0458 185 152 for more information.
Electric guitar and electric bass students need to bring their own lead and instrument. An amplifier will be provided. Percussion students need to bring their own sticks.
The audition takes approximately 10 minutes.
No accompaniment is required.
Applicants should prepare to present:
- Excerpts: these will be available to download from Friday, 22 October
- Free choice – this piece should demonstrate the applicant’s current playing ability. A copy of the music to be played will need to be provided to the panel (this will be returned after the audition).
See the Festival of Music website for the ranges and key signatures required.
Print the student ensemble application form (Word 174KB) and take to your audition.
Expectations of orchestra members
Orchestra members are expected to:
- engage positively with the entire PSMF team
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing
- be receiving an instrumental music lesson and supporting all school ensembles.
Rehearsals start in mid-term 1, 2022.
Members are expected to learn the music between rehearsals including taking the music to their instrumental music lesson.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear:
- the required Festival of Music shirt
- black trousers
- black socks or stockings
- respectful black shoes.
A fee of $60 is charged to cover cost of uniform and music folder.
Festival of Music Orchestra Manager
Phone: 0401 123 329
Email: orchestra.psmf786 [at] schools.sa.edu.au