The Primary Schools String Orchestra (PSSO) provides a tailored playing opportunity for players of string instruments in SA government primary schools.
The PSSO aims to help members:
- foster a love and understanding of music
- develop skills in ensemble playing
- build friendships with other musicians from a broad cross-section of SA government schools
- perform in concerts and at high-profile venues.
Repertoire for this orchestra includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The PSSO is a touring ensemble (metro and country areas).
All violin, viola, cello and double bass students in SA Government schools, years 5 to 7 in 2022, are eligible to apply. Entry is by audition. Students auditioning for this ensemble might consider also auditioning on the same instrument (in the 1 audition) for inclusion in one of the 2022 Festival of Music Orchestras. Continue reading for more information.
Year 7 students may like to consider auditioning for the Secondary Schools String Symphony instead. Contact the IM Leader, Learning Pathways on 0458 185 152 for further information.
An information for prospective new students auditioning for this ensemble will be held at Norwood Primary School in Mulberry Hall on Tuesday, October 26, 2021. The meeting will commence at 5.45pm and conclude at 6.15pm. Staff will be available to direct you to the meeting hall.
A COVID QR code or site entry form must be completed on arrival. Hand sanitiser must be used and the current social distancing rules will apply. No toilet will be available at the site.
Audition dates for PSSO 2022
You must book an audition. Audition bookings will be available from Friday,
Audition places are at the Klemzig instrumental music office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig on:
- Sunday 21 November, 1.00pm to 6.00pm
- Tuesday 23 November, 8.00am to 12.00pm and 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Students intending to audition must be attending a SA government school and be in years 5 to 7 in 2022 to be eligible to apply.
Students learning from private or department instrumental music teachers are encouraged to audition.
The standard required is beyond beginner level. The duration of each audition is approximately 10 minutes.
Applicants will be asked to present the following:
- Scales: All to be played from memory.
- Any 2 octave scale and its arpeggio using detaché whole bows.
- Any 1 octave scale, slurred 2 notes to a bow and its arpeggio, slurred 3 notes to a bow.
- A prepared piece of music chosen to demonstrate technical and musical ability.
- All of the prepared excerpts are available to download from Friday, 22 October, 2021.
- A small piece of sight reading, to be worked through at the audition.
Print the student ensemble application form (Word 174KB) and take to your audition.
Orchestra members will be selected based on their ability in these areas:
- accurate intonation
- strong clear sound
- spiccato bowing
- accurate reading of rhythm, pitch and volume variation
- good, healthy, accurate posture and hold of the instrument and bow.
- Shifting for violins and violas to 3rd position, cellos to 4th position.
- Commencement of vibrato (for violins, violas and cellos).
Want to be in more than one ensemble?
Opportunities to be part of Primary School Music Festival, Festival of Music Orchestras are available for 2022. More information is on the Primary Schools Music Festival website.
To audition once for more than one ensemble:
- check the commitments outlined on this website
- select your first choice
- make a booking
- indicate extra choices on the student ensemble application form
- bookings will open on Friday 15 October 2021.
Want to apply on more than one instrument?
You must book an audition for each instrument you want to apply for.
Ensemble members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing
- engage positively with the entire PSSO team.
Rehearsals will start in term 1, week 1, 1 February 2022. Rehearsals are on Tuesdays from 4.00pm to 5.45pm, at Mulberry Hall, Norwood Primary School, Osmond Terrace, Norwood.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
Students must purchase the PSSO uniform top, approximately $45. These will be ordered at the start of the school year.
For performances, members must provide their own performance uniform. This is plain black pants, socks and shoes.
The membership fee for the PSSO is $55 per year.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: Education.Ensembles669 [at] schools.sa.edu.au