The South Australian Schools Concert Band (SASCB) provides a tailored playing opportunity for players of concert band instruments in SA government schools.
The repertoire for the concert band includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The SASCB enables students to take Music Performance - Ensemble as a SACE Stage 2 subject.
Applicants should have been learning for more than 1 year.
All brass, woodwind, and rhythm section students in SA government schools in years 6 to 12 in 2022 are eligible to apply.
Entry for new members is by a performance placement assessment and application process.
Space is available for the following instrument players:
The assessment takes approximately 15 minutes.
Woodwind and Brass applicants will be asked to present the following:
- Scales: 3 x one octave scales; including a chromatic scale – ideally a variety of scales would be presented (EG: major/minor, flat/sharp keys). Demonstration of lowest to highest notes encouraged.
- One prepared piece of music chosen to demonstrate technical and musical ability – not an ensemble/band chart. Not accompanied. Not necessarily memorised.
- A small piece of sight reading, to be worked through at the assessment.
Percussion applicants will be asked to present: (students need to read notation)
- single-stroke roll, double-stroke roll and paradiddle rudiments (own choice of tempo)
- optional scales on xylophone: C, F, G, B flat majors (choose 2)
- one prepared piece of solo music chosen to demonstrate technical and musical ability – not an ensemble/band part.
- sight reading: (small) piece to be worked through in the presentation.
Booking an audition
To book your audition, use our online booking form.
- Date: Thursday 25 November 2021
- Time: 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- Location: Klemzig Instrumental Music office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig.
Print the student ensemble application form (Word 174KB) and take to your audition.
Want to be in more than one ensemble?
Opportunities to be part of Primary School Music Festival, Festival of Music Orchestras are available for 2022. More information is on the Primary Schools Music Festival website.
To audition once for more than one ensemble:
- check the commitments outlined on this website
- select your first choice
- make a booking
- indicate extra choices on the student ensemble application form
- bookings will open on Friday 15 October 2021.
Want to apply on more than one instrument?
You must book an audition for each instrument you want to apply for.
Members are expected to:
participate in all programmed performances and events
engage positively with the entire team
attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals start in week 3, term 1, 2022. Rehearsals are on Wednesdays, 4.30pm to 6.00pm, at Adelaide Botanic High School.
Members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members are expected to wear school uniform to rehearsals.
Members provide their own performance uniform:
quality, respectable black clothes suitable for public performances
black dress shoes
The membership fee is $55 per year.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: Education.Ensembles669 [at] schools.sa.edu.au