On this page
The South Australian Schools Concert Band (SASCB) provides a tailored playing opportunity for players of concert band instruments in SA government schools.
The repertoire for the concert band includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The SASCB enables students to take Music Performance - Ensemble as a SACE Stage 2 subject.
Entry for new members is by a performance placement assessment and application process. Applicants should have been learning for more than 1 year.
All brass, woodwind, and rhythm section students in SA government schools in years 6 to 12 in 2022 are eligible to apply.
Space is available for the following instrument players:
Performance placement assessments
Book your assessment via the online booking form.
Bring a completed student ensemble application form (DOCX 129.0KB) to your assessment.
The assessment takes approximately 15 minutes.
Woodwind and brass applicants
Woodwind and brass applicants will be asked to present:
- three different 1 octave scales, including a chromatic scale – it's best if you can present a variety of scales, such as major or minor, flat or sharp keys (demonstration of lowest to highest notes is encouraged)
- one prepared piece of music that demonstrates your technical and musical ability – not an ensemble or band chart, not accompanied, and not necessarily memorised
- a small piece of sight reading, to be worked through at the assessment.
Percussion applicants will be asked to present (students need to read notation):
- single-stroke roll, double-stroke roll and paradiddle rudiments (own choice of tempo)
- optional scales on xylophone – C, F, G, B flat majors (choose 2)
- one prepared piece of solo music chosen to demonstrate your technical and musical ability – not an ensemble or band part
- sight reading – small piece to be worked through in the presentation.
Want to be in more than one ensemble?
Opportunities to be part of the Primary School Music Festival, Festival of Music Orchestras are available for 2022.
Visit Festival of Music Festival orchestra auditions for more information.
To audition for more than one ensemble:
- check the commitments for each at school music ensembles
- select your first choice
- make a booking via the online booking form
- indicate extra choices on the student ensemble application form (DOCX 129.0KB).
Want to apply on more than one instrument?
Use the online booking form to book a separate audition time for each instrument you want to apply for.
Expectations of members
Members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire team
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals are held on Wednesdays from 4.30pm to 6pm at Adelaide Botanic High School.
Rehearsals start week 3, term 1.
Students are expected to:
- attend rehearsals in school uniform
- learn the music before rehearsals
- ask their instrumental music teacher for help, if needed
- notify the conductor if they can't attend a rehearsal.
For performances, members must wear:
- quality, respectable black clothes
- black dress shoes
- black socks.
Clothing must be suitable for public performances.
The membership fee is $55 per year.