On this page
This page explains how to nominate for selection in the 12 and under and the 13 to 19 years cross country state teams to compete at the School Sport Australia championships in 2022.
Preparation is continuing for all School Sport Australia championships subject to advice from State and Territory Departments of Health. Please note, the ability for students to attend the 2022 School Sport Australia championships will be subject to the approval of the SA Department for Education.
To nominate for selection, students must be
- enrolled at an affiliated school
- 10 to 19 years in the year of competition
Adelaide, South Australia from Friday 26 to Monday 29 August 2022.
- 12 and under coach - Richard Coote, Berri Primary School
- 12 and under team manager - Melanie Cant, School Sport SA
- 13 to 19 years coach - Lachlan Scott, Aberfoyle Park High School
- 13 to 19 years team manager - Lisa Davis, Aberfoyle Park High School
The team will be under the supervision of the team officials to meet supervision ratios.
Complete the online nomination form if you meet the selection criteria by
- 12 years and under team - nominations have closed.
- 13 to 19 years team - Wednesday 13 July
You will receive a confirmation email within 2 business days once your nomination has been processed. Your school will also be sent a copy as confirmation of your nomination. Your school has the right to not approve a child's involvement based on behaviour, attendance and other grounds as determined by the school.
13 to 19 years
- Participation and performance at the School Sport SA Cross Country Championship is the first selection trial. Student's unavailable for this event and wish to be considered must nominate online and email Paula Nielsen paula.nielsen [at] sa.gov.au (subject: Triathlon%20state%20team) with reasons for unavailability.
- Runners are automatically offered a position in the team if they place
13 year boys and girls - first to third in the 13 years race.
14/15 years boys and girls - first in the 14 years race, first or second in the 15 years race.
16/17 years boys and girls - first in the 16 years race, first or second in the open age event if they are 17 and under as at 31 December 2022.
18/19 years boys and girls - first to third in the open age event and are 18 or 19 years old as at 31 December 2022.
- Runners placed up to 20th in their age group will be invited to attend the Athletics SA Winter Season 2022 - Cross Country #2 event on Saturday 16 July. Invited students will be given more details.
- Remaining positions in the team will be selected based on runners finishing position in 1 or both trials when compared against the other runners who have nominated for selection.
Multiclass students with disability runners who are classified and show potential to meet the School Sport Australia qualifying times will be invited to attend trial 2.
12 and under
Will be announced after trial 2.
13 to 19 years
Selection in a School Sport SA state team requires endorsement from the student's school principal before confirming their place in the team. Therefore, parents are advised not to make arrangements that incur costs until the school has confirmed that the student fulfils all requirements.
All selected team members will be required to attend all team trainings and a team photo shoot.
Country team members travelling more than 2 hours can negotiate their commitment.
The selected student agrees to attend the competition for the full duration including the opening and closing ceremonies and the educational excursion.
An individual itemised account will be provided for every student selected in a School Sport SA state team.
Uniform ordering will be a separate online ordering process where payment is made directly to the supplier.
The cost is estimated to be approximately $800 for this championship.
More information will be provided once COVID protocols are considered and implemented.
See School Sport Australia Cross Country for program of events and results as they are available.
School Sport SA
Phone: 8416 5900
Email: education.schoolsportsa [at] sa.gov.au