The Festival of Music provides opportunities for SA government school students to be part of their Festival of Music Orchestras. There are places available in 2 orchestras. Each has approximately 35 to 40 students, giving a tailored playing opportunity for players of:
- electric guitar
- electric bass guitar
Each orchestra is made up of a string, wind and rhythm section.
Repertoire for the orchestras includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles as accompaniment for the Festival of Music choirs and orchestra-only feature pieces. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The Festival of Music for 2021 will be held in September at the Adelaide Festival Theatre. Each orchestra will perform in 6 concerts during the concert series.
Rehearsals are held at:
- Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig – Wednesdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm
- Southern/Western venue to be advised – Thursdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm
Entry is by audition.
All string, brass, woodwind, keyboard, electric guitar, electric bass guitar and percussion students in SA government schools in years 5 to 10 in 2021 are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Spaces for the following instruments are available in the orchestras as listed.
Booking an audition
Audition bookings are now open and can be made in our online booking system.
Auditions at Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig on:
- Thursday 12 November 2020: 8.00am to 12.00pm and 4.00pm to 7.00pm
- Sunday 15 November 2020: 2.00pm to 6.00pm
- Thursday 19 November 2020: 8.00am to 12.00pm and 4.00pm to 7.00pm
Want to be in more than one ensemble?
Opportunities to be part of Instrumental Music central student ensembles are available for 2021.
To audition once for more than one ensemble:
- check the commitments outlined on this website
- select your first choice
- make a booking
- indicate extra choices on the student ensemble application form
- bookings open on Friday 16 October.
Want to apply on more than one instrument?
You must book an audition for each instrument you want to apply for.
All auditions times must be booked.
Country students may be able to do an online audition. Contact the IM Leader, Learning Pathways on 0458 185 152 for more information.
Electric guitar and electric bass students need to bring their own lead and instrument. An amplifier will be provided. Percussion students need to bring their own sticks.
The audition takes approximately 10 minutes.
No accompaniment is required.
Applicants should prepare to present:
- Excerpts are available to download below.
- alto saxophone (PDF 434KB)
- clarinet (PDF 437KB)
- electric bass (PDF 412KB)
- electric guitar (PDF 506KB)
- flute (PDF 428KB)
- keyboard (PDF 450KB)
- percussion (PDF 477KB)
- trombone (PDF 410KB)
- trumpet (PDF 434KB)
- viola (PDF 419KB)
- violin (PDF 426KB)
- violoncello (PDF 418KB)
- If your instrument is not listed, contact the orchestra manager on 0401 123 329.
- Free choice – this piece should demonstrate the applicant’s current playing ability. A copy of the music to be played will need to be provided to the panel (this will be returned after the audition).
See the Festival of Music website for the ranges and key signatures required.
Print the student ensemble application form (Word 174KB) and take to your audition.
Expectations of orchestra members
Orchestra members are expected to:
- engage positively with the entire PSMF team
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing
- be receiving an instrumental music lesson and supporting all school ensembles.
Rehearsals start in week 5 of term 1, 2021.
Members are expected to learn the music between rehearsals including taking the music to their instrumental music lesson.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear:
- the required Festival of Music shirt
- black trousers
- black socks or stockings
- respectful black shoes.
A fee of $55 is charged to cover cost of uniform and music folder.
Festival of Music Orchestra Manager
Phone: 0401 123 329
Email: orchestra.psmf786 [at] schools.sa.edu.au