The Recorder Consort SA (RCSA) is a high-performing ensemble of SA government school students of the recorder. Participating in RCSA gives students opportunities to:
- challenge and improve their musical and technical skills
- perform in concerts and at high-profile venues.
The repertoire for this ensemble includes a wide range of musical styles that display the versatility of the instrument. Opportunities to experience the full range of recorders will be available for students of the ensemble.
RCSA enables students to take Ensemble Performance as a Year 12 (SACE Stage 2) subject.
City/country tours may be made throughout the year.
All recorder students in SA government schools, years 5 to 12 in 2019 are eligible to apply.
The audition takes approximately 10 minutes.
The standard required is beyond beginner level.
Applicants should prepare to present:
- One scale, any major scale of your choice
- 2 pieces of your own choice that demonstrate technical and musical ability at your current level
- at least one minute in length
- contrasting in style, tempo, register, or rhythm.
Booking an audition
If you are interested in being a part of this ensemble, contact Sharon Burgess on 0458 185 152 to arrange an audition time.
All applicants must print and complete the student ensemble application form 2019 (PDF 136KB) and bring it to the audition. All fields must be completed.
Ensemble members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire team
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing.
Rehearsals occur every Wednesday, from 4.00pm to 5.00pm, at Mitcham Primary School, Hillview Road, Kingswood. Rehearsals commence in week 3, term 1 2019.
Ensemble members are expected to learn the music before rehearsals. If necessary, they should ask their instrumental music teacher for help.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear quality, respectful black clothes, shoes and socks suitable for public performance in prestigious venues. A performance shirt will be provided.
The membership fee is $55 per year, including GST. This fee covers administrative costs and a performance shirt for each member.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: Education.Ensembles669 [at] schools.sa.edu.au