Go to top of page

Teacher employment requirements and registration

On this page

Find out what you need to do to be eligible to teach in South Australian government schools and preschools.

Teaching roles in schools and preschools include:

  • permanent school and preschool teachers
  • temporary contract teachers
  • relief teachers
  • school and preschool leadership positions.

Mandatory requirements

To teach in a South Australian government school or preschool, you must:

Once you've met all the requirements for employment, you'll receive an approved authority to teach letter by email.

Get help with
employment requirements

Following successful employment, it's also expected that provisionally registered teachers will gain full registration within 3 years, or up to 6 years depending on individual circumstances.

Qualifications and subject verification

South Australian teachers must hold university teaching qualifications in an area of specialisation or level of schooling. The codes for subject specialisations and levels of schooling can be found at preparing your Edujobs online application and in the ‘help’ of section 4 of the online teaching application.

You are asked to self-rate yourself for each subject (PDF 400KB) you are prepared to teach based on your teaching experience and university qualifications, and to provide evidence for these ratings based on practicum reports, employment history and academic transcripts.

From January 1 2019 all students enrolled in teaching qualifications in South Australia will be required to pass the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITE) before they graduate. More information on the test is available from ACER.

Early childhood certification

In addition to the requirements listed above, early childhood teachers must meet 1 of the following requirements:

  • hold a 4-year early childhood teaching qualification
  • hold a university undergraduate degree and approved post graduate pre-service university qualification in early childhood teaching – for example a Master of Teaching and Graduate Diploma in early childhood will together satisfy teacher registration
  • be a permanent Department for Education teacher before 2012 and hold a letter of approval from the Assistant Director, People and Culture Operations, to work in an early childhood program
  • hold an authority to teach letter clearing you to be employed in an early childhood program.

We do not accept TAFE qualifications as a teaching qualification.

Teachers who have completed 'provide first aid in an education and care setting (HLTAID012)' – previously known as 'provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting (HLTAID004)' – will increase their employment opportunities in early childhood programs. See first aid requirements for teachers.

If you refuse an offer of teaching employment

Make sure you keep your availability for employment in your application up to date and accurate. If you refuse an offer of employment, this will restrict any further offers for the school term. A second refusal may result in your application being withdrawn for the rest of the school year.

Common application errors

Avoid these common errors below to help process your application.

No documentation to verify your name or residency

Make sure that you:

  • use the same full name (including all middle names) as it appears on your birth certificate, passport or any name change documents in your application for employment
  • attach all residency and name change documents so we can link all the changes. For example attaching your birth certificate is not enough if you are now using your married name and you do not provide the marriage certificate
  • have the appropriate visa if you require one. Attach it to your application with a copy of your passport. The department does not sponsor visas.

Teacher registration number

You must include your correct teacher registration number on your application for employment.

Do not put your education ID number as your teacher registration number. Your teacher registration number is at the top of your registration certificate and is 6 numbers.

Pre-employment declaration

Be honest and declare everything as you complete your pre-employment declaration. If you answer yes or unsure to any question – give us the full details. Include as much information as you can, even if you think it's insignificant. This will mean less time wasted following up with you for more details.The extra time required for follow-up will vary and depends on the nature and complexity of the issues identified. Varying system and site needs may cause other delays.

Do not change your answers unless your situation has changed. Changes require us to do a full check again.

Registration of interest for teaching

Make sure your registration of interest for teaching is up to date – see EduJobs.

People and Culture

Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au