Teaching roles with South Australian government schools and preschools include:
- permanent school and preschool teachers
- temporary contract teachers
- relief teachers
- school and preschool leadership positions.
To teach in a South Australian government school or preschool, you must:
- have a current employable teacher registration (ETR) application with the department
- have university qualifications (PDF 400KB) appropriate to subject and year level being taught
- hold a current full or provisional South Australian teacher registration (valid for 3 years)
- be an Australian resident either with an Australian birth certificate, residency permit, or a current work visa. NB: Overseas applicants should get the appropriate visa themselves as the department does not normally sponsor visas.
- hold a current approved Responding to Abuse And Neglect Training certificate
- hold a current approved first aid training certificate.
Qualifications and subject verification
To teach in South Australia you need university teaching qualifications in an area of specialisation or level of schooling.
From January 1 2019 all students enrolled in teaching qualifications in South Australia will be required to pass the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITE) before they graduate. More information on the test is available from ACER at https://teacheredtest.acer.edu.au/.
The codes for subject specialisations and levels of schooling can be accessed from teaching subjects and skill codes (PDF 141KB) in the section 4 help of the online teaching application.
You must provide a self-rating for each subject (PDF 400KB) you are prepared to teach based on teaching experience and university qualifications and support these ratings with documentation such as an academic transcript.
Early childhood certification
In addition to the requirements above early childhood teachers must meet one of the following requirements:
- Hold a four-year Early Childhood teaching qualification, which is approved by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA)
- Hold a university undergraduate degree as well as an ACECQA approved post graduate pre-service university qualification in Early Childhood Teaching e.g. Master of Teaching, Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood which together will satisfy Teacher Registration. Please note: TAFE qualifications such as the Diploma of Children’s Services do not meet the requirements to qualify as an Early Childhood Teacher in the Department for Education
- Be a permanent Department for Education teacher and hold a letter of approval from the Assistant Director, People and Culture Operations, Education and Early Childhood to work in an early childhood program
- Hold an Authority to Teach letter which indicates they are cleared for employment in an early childhood program.
It is recommended that teachers seeking employment in an early childhood centre obtain the additional first aid training to increase employment opportunities.
Non-permanent teachers will need to submit a new application each year.
Retired teachers can register to work as temporary teachers.
If you refuse an offer of employment made within the terms of your most recent application, you will not be considered for any further offers for the school term in which the offer starts, regardless of the length of the appointment.
For example, if you refuse an offer that starts in term 1 2016, you will not be considered for any other offers that start during term 1, 2016.
If you refuse a second offer, your application will be withdrawn for the rest of the school year.
Ensure that all your details are current – offers of employment are based on the information in your most recent online registration of interest for teaching.
People and Culture operations
Phone: 8226 1356
Email: Education.Recruitment [at] sa.gov.au