On this page
This information outlines the process for OSHC services when reporting critical incidents requiring notification (within 24 hours for a serious incident or 7 days for a non-serious incident) to:
- South Australian Department for Education
- Education Standards Board (ESB)
- Australian Government Department of Education.
These processes support school governing council and third party providers providing an OSHC service on department sites. You can also find out about:
- critical incident and injury reporting under the National Quality Framework and department policy
- reporting security incidents and complaints.
- An incident or injury occurs.
- The OSHC director completes the incident, injury, trauma and illness record for all critical incidents and injuries, in line with the OSHC notification requirement checklist (PDF 279KB).
- The approved provider notifies the ESB through the National Quality Agenda IT System (NQAITS) public portal within the regulated timelines on the OSHC notification requirement checklist.
- The OSHC director provides a copy of both the ACECQA incident record and the NQAITS notification record to the principal or their nominated representative.
- The principal reports the incident on the Incident Response Management System (IRMS).
- A copy of the incident form must be provided to the Australian Government Department of Education by fax on 02 6123 6987 or via saccb [at] education.gov.au
- The approved provider must notify SafeWork SA where required.
1. If the principal or their nominated representative will not be available during vacation care, they must provide the OSHC director or third party provider with the department’s critical incident report template. This template is only available from the principal.
2. The OSHC director must complete the critical incident report and email it to education.incidentreportmanagementunit [at] sa.gov.au or fax 8463 6620 or phone 8463 6564 to make sure the incident is lodged on IRMS.
Important note: The principal is responsible for updating IRMS with any follow up actions that have been made about the incident, after the submission of the critical incident report.
The approved provider must make sure security incidents occurring at the OSHC service are reported to the principal.
The principal should report security issues to:
- the Security and Emergency Management Unit during business hours on 1800 000 279
- or the Police Security Services Branch (PSSB) control room during out of hours on 8116 9230.
For more information on incident reporting, contact the Early Childhood Policy and Strategy unit on 08 8226 6427 or email Education.oshc [at] sa.gov.au
OSHC directors must follow the service grievance or complaints policy and report the complaint to the principal and school governing council.
The approved provider must report the complaint to the ESB through the National Quality Agenda IT System (NQAITS) public portal within the regulated timelines on the OSHC notification requirement checklist (PDF 279KB).
Complaints alleging that a serious incident has occurred or that the National Law has been contravened must be reported within 24 hours of the complaint.
The principal may record complaints on the department’s Incident Recording Management System (IRMS).
Out of school hours care
Phone: 8226 6427
Email: Education.oshc [at] sa.gov.au