On this page
To enrol your child in a government preschool, you’ll need to submit a registration of interest form.
Once you've registered your interest, you can find out how to confirm preschool enrolment.
Make sure you have:
- checked when your child can start preschool
- read and understood how to get placement in a preschool
- found which preschools are in your catchment area
- make sure you understand the immunisation requirements for early childhood services.
Complete a preschool registration of interest form (PDF 207KB) by June 30.
We recommend using your computer to fill in the form, unless your mobile has Adobe Acrobat or similar software. You can also collect this form from your nearest preschool.
Once you’ve completed the form, email it to your preferred preschools or drop it off to them. Find your preschool's contact details.
You can apply to more than 1 preschool. You should also apply at your local preschool in case your application to non-local preschools is not successful.
When to register your interest by
Submit the registration of interest form by 30 June in the year before your child is due to start.
You can still register your interest any time during the year, but after 30 June it can be more difficult to get into your preferred preschool, especially when this is not your local preschool.
All government preschools will prioritise enrolment applications for children living within the preschool's local catchment area.
When you register your interest to enrol, the preschool will tell you when you can expect to find out the result. If you have a preferred preschool but do not live in the local catchment area, you may still be offered a place.
Offers for enrolment are generally made in 2 rounds:
- Round 1 offers to local families begin in August. All children living in rural communities where there's no other alternative government preschool will be offered a place in the first round of enrolment offers.
- Round 2 offers to non-local families begin in September, if places are available. Families not offered enrolment in this round will go on a waiting list for future consideration.
If you're offered a place, you'll receive a letter or email from the preschool. To accept the offer and secure the place, you'll need to reply within the timeframe requested.
Parents are invited to participate in all aspects of the preschool. To find out more about getting involved you can:
- speak to your preschool leader
- visit volunteering in schools, preschools and children's centres.
Phone: 8226 1000
Free call: 1800 088 158
Email: education.customers [at] sa.gov.au