On this page
Find out how to register your interest to enrol in a government preschool.
Once you've registered your interest, you can find out how to confirm preschool enrolment.
Make sure you have:
- checked when your child can start preschool
- read and understood how to get placement in a preschool
- found which preschools are in your catchment area
- immunised your child.
Submit a preschool registration of interest form (PDF 80KB) to your local or preferred preschools. This form can also be collected from your nearest preschool.
You can email the form to your preferred preschools or drop it off to them.
If possible, submit the registration form by 30 June in the year before your child is due to start. You can still register your interest any time during the year, but late applications might mean it becomes more difficult to get into your preferred preschool.
All government preschools will prioritise enrolment applications for children living within the preschool's local catchment area.
You can apply to more than 1 preschool. You should also apply at your local preschool in case your application to the non-local preschool is not successful.
When you register your interest to enrol, the preschool will tell you when you can expect to find out the result. If you have a preferred preschool but do not live in the local catchment area, you may still be offered a place.
Offers for enrolment are generally made in 2 rounds:
- Round 1 offers to local families begin in August. All children living in rural communities where there's no other alternative government preschool will be offered a place in the first round of enrolment offers.
- Round 2 offers to non-local families begin in September, if places are available. Families not offered enrolment in this round will go on a waiting list for future consideration.
If you're offered a place, you'll receive a letter or email from the preschool. To accept the offer and secure the place, you'll need to reply within the timeframe requested.
Parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the preschool. To find out more about getting involved:
- speak to your preschool leader
- visit volunteering in schools, preschools and children's centres.
Phone: 8226 1000
Free call: 1800 088 158
Email: education.customers [at] sa.gov.au