When you're appointed to be on a school or preschool's council it can seem like there’s a lot you need to do. However, there’s a difference between what you do and what you only need to monitor and review.
- finance and budgets – approve the budget
- propose constitutions
- attend meetings
- set up council committees and attend the meetings
- report to the Minister for Education once a year
- report to the school community, once a year
- be involved in the selection of principals (by 1 person being on the panel)
- approve school closures
- consult with the preschool or school community and make sure their views are represented.
- finance and budgets – monitor budget and finances via the finance advisory committee
- property and maintenance
- plans, for example site improvement
- insurance and public liability status
- employment and contracts.
Site Governance, Partnerships, Schools and Preschools
Phone: 8226 9617
Email: Education.sitegovernance [at] sa.gov.au