Go to top of page

Retiring or resigning from the department

If you have decided to retire or resign from the department, you must give written notice to your manager or delegate.


You can decide to resign at any time. 

You can retire if you are 55 years of age or older.

How to retire or resign

Staff can find out more on EDi retirement and resignation (staff login required).

Exit reports and interviews

You can have an exit interview or provide an employee exit report if you want to. Indicate on the notice of resignation or retirement form if this is what you want.

For more information, see the employee exit procedure.


If you're resigning or retiring from permanent employment and are considering reapplying for casual or temporary employment within the SA Public Sector, you must make sure you receive your Super SA superannuation payment first. This will make sure you're paid your benefit before starting that new employment

You're not required to take your superannuation benefit. If you do not receive your benefit before starting that new employment, and further contributions are made to your account, your superannuation cannot be paid out until that employment ends.

If you have any questions about superannuation, including contributions, contact Super SA directly.

Retired teachers planning to work as temporary relief teacher (TRT) must submit an employable teacher register application. See retired teachers working as temporary teachers.

People and Culture

Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au