A school services officer (SSO) provides administration and classroom support within South Australian government schools and preschools.
SSOs can work school terms (42 weeks) or may be employed for the full year (52 weeks).
Any available positions will be advertised on the Edujobs board.
SSO duties can be divided broadly into the following 5 categories.
The administration officer is responsible for front office reception and administrative duties, including libraries.
The classroom support officer provides curriculum support for teaching staff by:
- contributing to the planning and delivery of curriculum with participating teachers
- delivering curriculum to children in small groups or to individuals under the direction of the teacher or director
- performing administrative duties and records management
- organising and preparing materials and resources for activities, and organising activities within the safety guidelines under the direction of the teacher
- discussing program implementation and evaluation with the teacher
- helping organise special events and children's work displays.
The Resource Centre Officer is responsible for the effective administrative, clerical and paraprofessional support services to the site’s resource centre (Library). The duties may include:
- processing book and resource loans and returns
- use of the resource centre’s IT system
- manage audio visual equipment
- filing and shelving
The finance officer provides accounting and administrative services for the site.
The laboratory officer provides a range of laboratory and science faculty support.
The computer systems manager is accountable for the operational effectiveness and efficiency of the site's computer information systems.
Full time/part time appointment with leave conditions – working 48/52 weeks per year. Entitled to paid sick leave, recreation leave and special leave, long service leave and payment for public holidays not worked.
Part time 'school term' employment with 16% loading – working term time only. Entitled to paid sick leave, and long service leave.
Casual appointment with 25% loading – working term time only. Not entitled to any paid leave except special leave at the discretion of the employer and long service leave.
School services officers are appointed under Section 101B of the Education Act, 1972.
Salary and conditions of employment are contained in the:
- South Australian school and preschool education staff enterprise agreement 2012
- Schools Services Officers (Government Schools) Award
- other awards or agreements applicable from time to time.