The Primary Schools Music Festival Orchestras consist of three orchestras of approximately 30-35 SA government school students, and provide a tailored playing opportunity for players of:
- electric guitar
- electric bass guitar
Each orchestra is made up of a string, wind and rhythm section.
Repertoire for the orchestras includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles as accompaniment for the Festival of Music choirs and orchestra-only feature pieces. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The Festival of Music for 2019 will be held mid-September at the Adelaide Festival Theatre. Each orchestra will perform in 4 concerts during the concert series.
Two regional events occur early in term 4. The Northern Metro Music Festival at Gawler Starplex is generally held in week 2 of term 4 – North Orchestra members are required for this event. The Southern Metro Music Festival at Noarlunga Centre is generally in week 3 of term 4 – South Orchestra members are required for this event. Opportunities for Central Orchestra members to participate are available.
Rehearsals are held at:
- North – Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig – Thursdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm
- South – Blackwood High School, Seymour Street, Eden Hills – Thursdays, 5.00pm to 6.30pm
- Central – Glenunga International HighSchool, 99 L’Estrange Street, Glenunga – Wednesdays, 4.20pm to 6.00pm
Entry is by audition.
All string, brass, woodwind, keyboard, electric guitar, electric bass guitar and percussion students in SA government schools in years 5 to 9 in 2019 are eligible and encouraged to apply.
The orchestras are particularly in need of:
- North: Flute, Violin, Viola, Cello, Electric Bass Guitar
- Central: Trumpet, Percussion, Viola, Cello, Electric Bass Guitar
- South: Saxophone, Electric Guitar, Keyboard, Violin, Viola, Cello, Percussion, Electric Bass Guitar
Booking an audition
An extra round of auditions will be held on:
- Sunday, December 9: 11.00am to 2.00pm at the Klemzig Instrumental Music Office, 28 Hay Street, Klemzig
All auditions times must be booked.
Country students may be able to do an online audition, or submit a CD/DVD recording. Contact the IM Leader, Learning Pathways on 0458 185 152 for more information.
Electric guitar and electric bass students need to bring their own lead and instrument. An amplifier will be provided. Percussion students need to bring their own sticks.
The audition takes approximately 10 minutes.
No accompaniment is required.
Applicants should prepare to present:
If your instrument is not listed above please contact the number below.
Free Choice – this piece should demonstrate the applicant’s current playing ability. A copy of the music to be played will need to be provided to the panel (this will be returned after the audition).
See the PSMF website for the ranges and key signatures required.
All applicants must print and complete the student ensemble application form 2019 (PDF 136KB) and bring it to the audition. All fields must be completed.
Expectations of orchestra members
Orchestra members are expected to:
- engage positively with the entire PSMF team
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable clothing
- be receiving an instrumental music lesson and supporting all school ensembles.
Rehearsals begin in week 5 of term 1, 2019.
Members are expected to learn the music between rehearsals including taking the music to their instrumental music lesson.
If a member can’t attend a rehearsal, they should notify the conductor.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members should wear school uniform to rehearsals.
For performances, members must wear:
- the required Festival of Music shirt
- black trousers
- black socks or stockings
- respectful black shoes.
Membership for PSMF is free.
Performance polo tops with the PSMF logo are required for a cost of approximately $30.00 – these will be arranged in 2019.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: Education.Ensembles669 [at] schools.sa.edu.au